Skip to main content

B&V Harbor Scene

I've been assuming that if and when I build another B&V layout, it would represent the mountain portion of the line. But in the real world, what little track the railroad built was down on the coast around Oxnard, Port Hueneme, and the southern part of what is now Camarillo.

I've been putting together some cardstock buildings from Clever Models for my Lockwood & San Emigdio On30 mini-layout. The ones I've selected for that project have been mostly small wood and corrugated metal structures typical of a remote mining area, but Clever also makes a lot of buildings more appropriate to urban, industrial or harbor areas -- in fact, they sell a collection of six or eight buildings called "The Waterfront" that includes some larger industrial or warehouse-type buildings and a small coastal freighter. Which got me thinking, why not do a shelf layout of the B&V at Hueneme harbor?

Here's a preliminary track plan, a "flipped" version of the classic Gumstump & Snowshoe shelf layout. I've made it a little larger at 8 feet long by 16 inches wide, and added a passing siding.

The first one is pretty busy. Here's a simpler version with more room for buildings.

Here are some prototype pictures I found, mostly on the Museum of Ventura County web site:

The original wharf at Hueneme, probably before 1900 based on the sailing ships in the picture.

This is identified as the Oxnard Cannery at Hueneme. Presumably they were canning fish.

Sugar beets were big business back in the day. I believe this was the American Sugar Beet Co. mill. In reality it was farther inland, and the building was much too large to model in full, but a selectively compressed version would make a great background flat. Of course, this would require a siding on the back side of the mainline -- another reason to make the shelf a little wider.

Lima beans were another important local crop. This is the first train of Limas shipped by rail from Oxnard, probably about 1890.

When the initial effort to build a line north out of Fillmore along Sespe Creek got washed out by a winter storm, the real-life B&V shifted its focus and bought out an existing streetcar line in Oxnard. That became the start of what is now the Ventura County Railway. I think I see a trolley pole on the rear of this car? It would be fun to include an electrified streetcar line as part of a B&V layout. But now we're talking about a lot more than a 16x96 shelf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track Planning for the B&V

Designing a model railroad layout is always a tradeoff between many factors -- ratio of track to scenery, switching vs. mainline running, point-to-point or continuous running -- but most of all, what will fit in the available space. As I think about starting a new B&V, I've been contemplating what appeals to me, personally. I've designed and built a dozen or so layouts of all sizes and configurations, and helped design, built, and operate on club layouts and friends' layouts, so I have a pretty good sense of what I like. That doesn't mean that what I like is "right" or "better" than someone else's preference. You do you, I do me. Not what an article in a model railroad magazine, much less a Facebook post, says is the best way to do things. That said, when I am operating my own layout, I like seeing trains run through reasonably realistic scenery BUT I don't find it satisfying watching them go around in circles (again, I'm not judging ...

How Did We Get Here?

I'm in the early stages (February 2022) of my second effort to model the Bakersfield & Ventura Railroad, as it might have been if history had been a little different ... or maybe as it is in some other parallel universe. There's more information on the real-world B&V in my other Bakersfield & Ventura blog  https://bakersfieldandventura.blogspot.com/  so I won't go into too much detail here, but in brief: The B&V was a proposed southern California railroad line that would have run from ... wait for it ... Fillmore to Maricopa. To be fair, Fillmore is not far from Ventura, and Maricopa is not too far from Bakersfield. The line would mostly have carried agricultural and petroleum-related freight between the southern San Joaquin Valley and the harbor at Port Hueneme, giving farmers and businesspeople a more direct and less expensive way to get their products to market.  In 1907, the company bought a small streetcar line in Oxnard, extended it to serve a couple...

Engines (and inspirations)

Engine #58 is one of two Consolidations on the road and is the mainstay of operations (its twin is still in the box but will be put into service once I get a new layout built). These are Bachmann engines with the original tender replaced by a Bachmann SP-style Vanderbilt oil tender. The only other modification was to shave off the "smoke deflector," or whatever it's supposed to be, on the back on the cab roof. They're fitted with TCS DCC modules. This unit has obviously been lettered for the Bakersfield & Ventura and given some weathering. SD&AE #104 My B&V Consolidations were inspired by San Diego & Arizona Eastern #104 and her sister engines. I believe 104 was purchased second-hand from the SP, but SD&AE had a couple of nearly identical engines that they bought new. #104 was probably the first steam engine I ever saw up close. It was on display for many years at the San Diego County Fairgrounds. It's now at the Pacific Southwest Railroad Muse...