Skip to main content

Side-Tracked, Continued

I was cleaning my garage the other day and pulled out a 30x60 inch layout I started some years back in HOn30, but abandoned pretty quickly. The trains were just too small for me, and there wasn't a lot of equipment available -- there's no equivalent of Bachmann's relatively cheap and plentiful ready-to-run On30 cars and locomotives, and only a few kits.

I'm kind of taking this as a sign from the fates. The overall size of the old, partly built layout is in the upper range of what I was thinking about doing in On30. The curve of N scale track at the left end in the photo is 12 inch radius, and the right end is 13 inches, both in the range of what I was considering. The rest of the track plan doesn't translate so well -- the plan drawn on the board has a passing siding on the front side that would have been short in HOn30 and would have been all but useless in On30. The upper level branchline track has a 9 inch curve, which is probably too tight for anything but an 0-4-0 in On30 -- plus, as designed it crosses over itself, which would take a ridiculous grade in On30. So the main loop is just about perfect, but the rest would take nearly a complete redesign.

After a lot of experimenting with laying flex track at different radii on a sheet of plywood, I decided that the 0-4-2 wasn't going to handle 10-inch curves reliably -- it's just too hard to get absolutely smooth, kink-free track at that kind of radius with flex. I may try hand laying a circle of 10-inch on a 2 x 2 square of EPS, but I have to conclude that the smaller versions of the mini-layout, with 10-inch curves, are not going to work. The 12 and 13-inch curves of the upcycled HOn30 layout make more sense.

I drew a number of drafts of track plans, some fairly complex, and ended up with one that uses the same sub-roadbed as the HOn30 for the mainline. In fact, I kept the N scale cork roadbed for the main, and just tacked the larger flex on top of it. The ties hang over a bit at the ends, but I figure by the time I add Sculptamold, ground cover, ballast (mine tailings), it will be fine. The cork cuts down on the noise level at least a little.

So, here's the track plan. Two versions, same track plan but different scenery/building arrangements. The track plan is pretty much final except for minor adjustments, as I've already started laying track:


The buildings I've been including on my plans for this project have been too small for O scale -- I'm still thinking in terms of an H.O. 4 x 8 instead of an On30 2-1/2 x 5. In the version below, I've adjusted sizes after looking at O scale kit dimensions -- for example, the brewery building is based on the dimensions of Bar Mills' Mooney's Plumbing Supply. Once I've got the track done I plan to build some cardboard mockups and try them in different arrangements.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B&V Harbor Scene

I've been assuming that if and when I build another B&V layout, it would represent the mountain portion of the line. But in the real world, what little track the railroad built was down on the coast around Oxnard, Port Hueneme, and the southern part of what is now Camarillo. I've been putting together some cardstock buildings from Clever Models for my Lockwood & San Emigdio On30 mini-layout. The ones I've selected for that project have been mostly small wood and corrugated metal structures typical of a remote mining area, but Clever also makes a lot of buildings more appropriate to urban, industrial or harbor areas -- in fact, they sell a collection of six or eight buildings called "The Waterfront" that includes some larger industrial or warehouse-type buildings and a small coastal freighter. Which got me thinking, why not do a shelf layout of the B&V at Hueneme harbor? Here's a preliminary track plan, a "flipped" version of the classic G

Side-Tracked

The other day, as my wife and I were rearranging some furniture in the living room, she made the comment that it might be fun to put a small train display on a side table where she normally displays some potted plants. She had in mind my Lockwood & San Emigdio On30 diorama, which she's watched me work on the last several months -- but of course, the suggestion got me thinking in other directions. Since the purpose, at least in part, will be to entertain the grandkids when they come to visit, it makes sense to have a continuous lap. Since the tabletop is only about 25 by 54 inches, that limits me to a 10 or maybe 11 inch radius, a bit more if I overlap the tabletop a few inches. I'm thinking On30, so that's too tight for any of the equipment I currently own. There are some people doing wonderful work in On30 building mini- and micro-layouts with these kinds of curves and smaller, using the Bachmann 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 Porters, Davenport gas-mechanicals, and other small switc

New Blog

What started out as a blog about my past and maybe future Bakersfield & Ventura model railroad has ended up being mostly about the narrow gauge Lockwood & San Emigdio . So I'm spinning off a separate blog for my narrow gauge work. I'll go back and clean this one up eventually, then put it on hold until I get back to working on the B&V.