Skip to main content

More Details

I carved a retaining wall from a scrap of EPS foam. Quick and easy. It's painted with cheap craft store acrylic paint. Here are a couple of photos.


I'm using sand, harvested along the North Fork of Lockwood Creek, as my base ground cover. It looks fine to my eyes, but in photos appears much too coarse, like gravel. On my next build I plan to try sanded grout.

The set of miners I bought includes this guy pushing an ore cart, which I finally painted and installed on top of the ore bin.


At the other end, I poured Woodland Scenics Realistic Water so the prospectors could pan for gold. It's actually too clear; if I use it again in the future I'll add some of their Murky Water tint. Might even get some Murky Water and pour another layer over the top here.

Next up, I just ordered a Banta Miner's Shack, which will sit just to the left of the ore bin. Also need to make up some pine trees from the Woodland Scenics kit I bought a while back. At that point, the On30 diorama will be pretty well complete.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Track Planning for the B&V

Designing a model railroad layout is always a tradeoff between many factors -- ratio of track to scenery, switching vs. mainline running, point-to-point or continuous running -- but most of all, what will fit in the available space. As I think about starting a new B&V, I've been contemplating what appeals to me, personally. I've designed and built a dozen or so layouts of all sizes and configurations, and helped design, built, and operate on club layouts and friends' layouts, so I have a pretty good sense of what I like. That doesn't mean that what I like is "right" or "better" than someone else's preference. You do you, I do me. Not what an article in a model railroad magazine, much less a Facebook post, says is the best way to do things. That said, when I am operating my own layout, I like seeing trains run through reasonably realistic scenery BUT I don't find it satisfying watching them go around in circles (again, I'm not judging ...

How Did We Get Here?

I'm in the early stages (February 2022) of my second effort to model the Bakersfield & Ventura Railroad, as it might have been if history had been a little different ... or maybe as it is in some other parallel universe. There's more information on the real-world B&V in my other Bakersfield & Ventura blog  https://bakersfieldandventura.blogspot.com/  so I won't go into too much detail here, but in brief: The B&V was a proposed southern California railroad line that would have run from ... wait for it ... Fillmore to Maricopa. To be fair, Fillmore is not far from Ventura, and Maricopa is not too far from Bakersfield. The line would mostly have carried agricultural and petroleum-related freight between the southern San Joaquin Valley and the harbor at Port Hueneme, giving farmers and businesspeople a more direct and less expensive way to get their products to market.  In 1907, the company bought a small streetcar line in Oxnard, extended it to serve a couple...

Engines (and inspirations)

Engine #58 is one of two Consolidations on the road and is the mainstay of operations (its twin is still in the box but will be put into service once I get a new layout built). These are Bachmann engines with the original tender replaced by a Bachmann SP-style Vanderbilt oil tender. The only other modification was to shave off the "smoke deflector," or whatever it's supposed to be, on the back on the cab roof. They're fitted with TCS DCC modules. This unit has obviously been lettered for the Bakersfield & Ventura and given some weathering. SD&AE #104 My B&V Consolidations were inspired by San Diego & Arizona Eastern #104 and her sister engines. I believe 104 was purchased second-hand from the SP, but SD&AE had a couple of nearly identical engines that they bought new. #104 was probably the first steam engine I ever saw up close. It was on display for many years at the San Diego County Fairgrounds. It's now at the Pacific Southwest Railroad Muse...