Skip to main content

My Next Shelf Layout

As my Lockwood & San Emigdio diorama is getting down to the details, I'm thinking about doing something in HO, with enough track to do some switching.

This was spurred in part when I came across an old track plan called the Gum Stump & Snowshoe. It was originally designed by Chuck Yungkirth, a pioneer model railroader, in the late 1950s or early 1960s. His version was a 1 x 6 foot shelf, kind of a tour-de-force microlayout/switching puzzle. I spent some time fiddling with it in Anyrail, expanding it from the original 1 x 6 feet, to 16 inches by 7 or 8 feet.

Here's his version:


One of the criticisms of this plan is that there's no run-around track, so switching all the sidings with a single engine is virtually impossible. But I believe this was intended as a two-engine switching puzzle, with two engineers having to cooperate to complete the switching task. Still, I'd want to add a run-around because I'd mostly be running it by myself.

Here is is redrawn with a short run-around track added:


One of the challenges of the Gum Stump has always been getting the high track (the spurs on the left side) up high enough to cross over the lower track -- in Yungkurth's version, it would have been a 6 percent or better grade. Even stretching it out a little here, it's about 5 percent.

As others have done, I altered it so that the high track doesn't have to pass over the lower track, so really, the grade can be anything you want, or none at all. It makes it a bit less challenging to run, and perhaps less scenically interesting, but it lets me reduce the grades and makes it a bit more suited to rod locomotives rather than Shays or small diesel switchers. I've kept the upper spurs at 3 inches in elevation (I'm assuming HO scale here) and routed one of the spurs to a bridge over the lower-level "main line" just for scenic interest. The steepest grade as drawn is about 4 percent.

Finally, here's a revised version -- which is what I will probably build. It's designed to fit in on a wall in my garage/train room, and also to potentially be incorporated into a larger B&V layout that I hope to build eventually, at the end of the Stauffer branch. The buildings on the upper-right are a small mine complex, possibly the Banta Model Works Little Creek Mine kit. The other buildings might include a freight house, a very small whistle stop type station, and a couple of stores or other commercial buildings representing "downtown" Stauffer.


A 3D view from Anyrail:

This unit, with a little trimming, will fit the lap-and-branch version of the B&V track plan I've shown in other posts, roughly where the yellow rectangle is:


The lower-level track at the far right end of the shelf would be non-operational as part of the shelf layout, but it's a nod to the overpass on the original Gumstump plan, provides some scenic interest, and is a place to park an extra locomotive and/or a car or two. If I incorporate this into the larger layout, it would obviously become part of the main line.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

B&V Harbor Scene

I've been assuming that if and when I build another B&V layout, it would represent the mountain portion of the line. But in the real world, what little track the railroad built was down on the coast around Oxnard, Port Hueneme, and the southern part of what is now Camarillo. I've been putting together some cardstock buildings from Clever Models for my Lockwood & San Emigdio On30 mini-layout. The ones I've selected for that project have been mostly small wood and corrugated metal structures typical of a remote mining area, but Clever also makes a lot of buildings more appropriate to urban, industrial or harbor areas -- in fact, they sell a collection of six or eight buildings called "The Waterfront" that includes some larger industrial or warehouse-type buildings and a small coastal freighter. Which got me thinking, why not do a shelf layout of the B&V at Hueneme harbor? Here's a preliminary track plan, a "flipped" version of the classic G

Side-Tracked

The other day, as my wife and I were rearranging some furniture in the living room, she made the comment that it might be fun to put a small train display on a side table where she normally displays some potted plants. She had in mind my Lockwood & San Emigdio On30 diorama, which she's watched me work on the last several months -- but of course, the suggestion got me thinking in other directions. Since the purpose, at least in part, will be to entertain the grandkids when they come to visit, it makes sense to have a continuous lap. Since the tabletop is only about 25 by 54 inches, that limits me to a 10 or maybe 11 inch radius, a bit more if I overlap the tabletop a few inches. I'm thinking On30, so that's too tight for any of the equipment I currently own. There are some people doing wonderful work in On30 building mini- and micro-layouts with these kinds of curves and smaller, using the Bachmann 0-4-0 and 0-4-2 Porters, Davenport gas-mechanicals, and other small switc

New Blog

What started out as a blog about my past and maybe future Bakersfield & Ventura model railroad has ended up being mostly about the narrow gauge Lockwood & San Emigdio . So I'm spinning off a separate blog for my narrow gauge work. I'll go back and clean this one up eventually, then put it on hold until I get back to working on the B&V.